Friday, April 6, 2012

KEENWAH

Quinoa, (pronounced ki-nwah) a species of goosefoot (Chenopodium), is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds.

I have been looking for this little grain for ages and finally found out I could buy it at COSTCO. Nessie was there one day and bought me a bag. I'd seen it in various cooking segments on the FOOD channel and I really wanted to test it out.

Last night I went grocery shopping and picked up the few things needed for a Quinoa Salad recipe I had found.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I found out this little grain ball is super versatile and is delicioussss.













It pretty much marries with any flavors you put in with or around it.

I sweat some garlic and onions before I added the quinoa, vegetable broth, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Simmered it for 20 minutes (like rice) and added in some corn to warm up for a few minutes. Then I added in the black beans and cilantro at the very end, stirred, and omg.

I don't know what I was expecting but it's super good. I took some to work to try cold and it's alright, but definitely prefer it warm.

One of those things you can just flavor however you want and could go with almost anything. Really going to try and work it into more side-dishes in the future.

No comments: